Some of my British customers were asking me what to do with the boerewors, so here's a recipe for a South Africn favourite - boerewors rolls.
This recipe is from honestcooking.com
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsn sugar
- 1tbsn balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 500g / 1.1 pounds Boerewors
- 4 fresh Hotdog rolls
- Wholegrain mustard, to serve
- Coleslaw, to serve
1. Firstly, start with the onions. Heat about 2tbsn oil in a large pan and add the sliced onions. Gently fry for 5-10 minutes until the onions are soft and golden. Set aside.
2. For the tomato relish, add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper to a small pot and allow to reduce on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until it's thickened slightly.
3. In South Africa, Boerewors is almost always braaied but you can also pan fry the sausage of your choice. Cook until it's cooked through but still juicy.
4. Serve the boerewors in the fresh rolls with some wholegrain mustard, tomato relish and fried onions. Add some coleslaw on the side.