The eye round we sell is a lovely, tasty lean piece of meat, but if you try to do it too fast it can tighten up and get a bit tough. The recipe below works fine for me. If you use another method and it works for you, please let me know.
- Remove the meat from the fridge and let it reach room temperature. Rub the meat with olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever else you'd like to season it with. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Put the meat in a roasting tray (putting onions, garlic, carrots etc. under the meat will help it cook better all round, and add flavour to your gravy). Put it in the oven and roast it for 20 mins.
- Turn the oven all the way down to 150°C, remove the beef from the oven, baste it and put it back.
- Give it another 25 minutes or so. If you're using a meat thermometer aim for about 52°C for meduim rare.
- Take the meat out and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. Yes, honestly, let it rest.
This works for me, but please let me know how you get on.